- You must be a US Citizen.
- Must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal & Regulatory Guidance.
- Suitable for Federal employment as determined by background investigation.
- Selectee may be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- This position is a drug-testing designated position (TDP).
Your resume must reflect you have sufficient professional medical technologist education and experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities to satisfactorily perform the duties of this position. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your knowledge, skills, and abilities as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience.
BASIC REQUIREMENT FOR ALL MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST POSITIONS: Your resume must reflect you have one of the following:
- Accredited bachelor's degree in medical technology, chemistry, or biology that included or was supplemented by at least: a) 16 semester hours of biological science of which one course was in microbiology and one course was in immunology; b) 16 semester hours of chemistry of which one course was in organic or biochemistry; AND c) 3 semester hours of college mathematics.
- A full 4-year course of study that included or was supplemented by at least 12 months in a college or hospital-based medical technology program or medical technology school approved by a recognized accrediting organization. The professional medical technology curriculum may have consisted of a 1-year post-baccalaureate certificate program or the last 1 or 2 years of a 4-year program of study culminating in a bachelor's degree in medical technology.
- A combination of (a) at least 35 semester hours of biological science, chemistry, and mathematics course work as described in paragraph 1 above and (b) additional appropriate education and/or experience totaling 4 years. This combination of education and experience must have provided knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices of medical technology equivalent to that provided by the full 4-year course of study described in paragraphs 1 or 2 above. All science and mathematics courses must have been acceptable for credit toward meeting the requirements for a science major at an accredited college or university. Acceptable experience is responsible professional or technician experience in a hospital laboratory, health agency, industrial medical laboratory, or pharmaceutical house; or teaching, test development, or medical research program experience that provided an understanding of the methods and techniques applied in performing professional clinical laboratory work. Certification/licensure as a medical technologist (generalist) obtained through written examination by a nationally recognized credentialing agency or State licensing body is a good indication that the quality of experience is acceptable.
IN ADDITION TO MEETING THE BASIC REQUIREMENT, your resume must reflect you have one of the following:
1. At least one year of professional specialized experience in or related to the work of this position that equipped you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of the position. To be creditable, the difficulty and responsibility of your experience must be equivalent to at least the next lower grade level or pay band in the Federal service. Typical characteristics of qualifying experience include, but is not limited to, the following: Medical Technologist carrying out a variety of routine and specialized clinical laboratory tests in various clinical laboratory specialties, including chemistry, hematology, Urinalysis, Coagulation, Immunohematology, Referral Testing, Microbiology, etc.; evaluate specimens and prepare for analysis; use, calibrate, and adjust a wide variety of manual and automated test instructions, equipment, analyzers; evaluate abnormal results; conduct QC procedures on equipment, reagents, and products; evaluate and recommend incorporation of new tests; write lab reports identifying samples and stating methods and results; interpret and adapt guidelines and precedents for application to specific cases or problems; set up and adapt new tests; recommend changes to procedures to improve the reliability of data, enhance services, and/or correct deficiencies; and use a variety of LIS software and hardware; Interfacing the laboratory with the laboratory information system (LIS); translating laboratory needs into IT solutions; running reports on laboratory IT operations; Assist with LIS troubleshooting.
2. Completion of two years of progressively higher level accredited graduate education leading to a master's degree, a master's, or equivalent graduate degree in or directly related to professional medical technology that provided you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to satisfactorily perform the work of the position.
3. Combination of professional experience and education described in paragraphs 1 and 2 above. Only graduate education beyond the first full academic year is acceptable.
Do you have directly related part-time or unpaid experience? Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and/or part-time work. Your resume must clearly identify your duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours worked per week.
Possession of Medical Technologist or Medical Laboratory Scientist certification from ASCP, AMT, or comparable organization is required, failure to attach a copy will deem you ineligible for this position.
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification is required:
In accordance with BUMEDINST 1500.15C employees assigned to or subject to being assigned to duties providing direct patient care, either diagnostic or therapeutic must possess and maintain Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement and clearly documented in your resume.
This position has an education requirement! For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you must submit a copy of your transcripts which includes course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned.
Your complete application (resume, assessment questionnaire, and all supporting documents) must be received by 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) on Wednesday, March 15, 2017.
HOW TO APPLY! Please Go to https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/464274700/ then follow the instructions under the "How to Apply" section.
You must apply through the link above. We are unable to accept applications from external websites or via email. Applications not submitted through the link will not receive consideration.